Click on a photo to see a larger version of the image.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

WWII Navy plane (A-6?)


I was surprised to see this WWII era Navy plane parked at the gas tanks at Ryan Field west of town as I drove back to Tucson. I quickly pulled out the camera and took a shot over my shoulder. The quality isn't the best and this ia a heavily cropped image to boot. This image was taken with the kit lens at 55mm focal length with an exposure of 1/400 seconds at f/14, ISO 400.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It isn't an A-6, unless there is another plane with the designation. I only know of one, the A-6 Intruder.

Jim said...

You're right. I was thinking of the F6F Hellcat, but this looks like a 2 seater and I think that was only a single seat plane, but perhaps had a training version?

Richard said...

I'm scratching my head on this one. Searching VF-387 comes up with no hits, so I don't think that was a real Navy squadron. Looking at the shape of the airframe, it strikes me very much as an early model P-47, maybe modified to be a trainer. Why a P-47 would be in Navy colors is beyond me.