Click on a photo to see a larger version of the image.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Viking Lander

Two Viking landers successfully landed on Mars in 1976, the first on the 7th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing on the Moon on July 20. The thing I remember most about that is that we were traveling across country, moving from New York to Seattle and passed through Salt Lake City at that time. When I saw the newspaper the next day and they had the first picture from Viking 1 on the surface of Mars, I thought "Sheesh! The landscape we just drove through looks just like that!" Nowadays, the images by our landers and rovers on Mars make me want to go take a hike over to the hills in the distance. This image was taken at 18mm focal length, with an exposure of 1/125 seconds at f/4.5, ISO 800.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tuguldur said...

woow, I've imagined as this big! it always thought smaller.... :D

Unknown said...

Hey dude! I guess you ain't in Kansas eh Toto? Where are you taking these pictures? I'm too lazy to read further back in your blog - I'm guessin' the Air & Space Museum? Give an old guy a hint! ;->