Click on a photo to see a larger version of the image.

Monday, September 24, 2007

VATT at work

This shot of the VATT at work in moonlight was almost a great shot. When I first brought it up on my computer, I instantly exclaimed "D'Oh!" - The handle of my tripod is jutting out into the field of this fisheye view! The dark cylindrical object at lower left is the silhouette of the handle. I often mount my camera on the tripod with the vertical tilt handle in front of the camera so I can tilt the camera and tripod up to vertical for astrophotography. That's normally not a problem, unless you use an 8mm fisheye as I did here..... This image used an exposure of 120 seconds at f/3.5, ISO 400.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tuguldur said...

OMG, thats pretty funny! haha

How many degrees does that rig has?

Jim said...

At 8mm focal length, the image scale is:

((206265"/8mm)*36mm/1.6)/3600("/d)

or about 161.1 degrees across the long axis and 107.4 degrees across the short axis of the image. I think they claim the lens has a 180 degree fov and we could measure that off an uncropped image, but judging by the circular image (without actually measuring), I'd say it's pretty close to that.