Click on a photo to see a larger version of the image.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Over the cliff - by Hugo First...

Watch that first step - it's a doozy. Yes, that's 3,000 feet straight down. The Colorado River is at the lower left edge of the frame. I wrapped the wrist strap around my wrist and held the camera over the threshold to get this picture while I stayed more than a foot back from the precipice. I wasn't about to lean out there myself. Of course, as you can sort of see, I was standing on a rock outcrop which is battling gravity to stay in place there and it has cracks in it. Eventually it will join the debris in the talus on the edge of the river, but happily it didn't do that in the 3 minutes I was standing on it. This is one the of rare places where it is a straight vertical cliff all the way down - much of the canyon has terraced walls with lots of 400 foot falls down to the river instead of one long 3,000 foot fall as there is here (see the last shot which shows the south canyon walls, for example).
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tuguldur said...

woow.. maybe you need to write a note before your post that saying: "do not look the picture after you ate something" :P

Very steep and very nice! :)