Click on a photo to see a larger version of the image.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tower Falls


We arrived at Tower Falls in Yellowstone National Park last month in a bit of a rainstorm, complete with thunder and lightning, so we went inside the giftshop by the trailhead, thinking that the hike to view the falls was a couple miles long.  We discovered that the viewpoint is only a short relatively flat trail away and a longer hike went down towards the base of the falls (but we found out later that it is closed about halfway down).  With the storm lightening up with only very light rain, we headed out on the short hike.  I set up my tripod at the overlook and took the shots above with my 24mm lens, varying the exposure for different affects - the top is 1 second at f/22, ISO 100 and the falls are smeared, giving the falls a curtain-like affect.  The bottom was taken at 1/640 seconds at f/1.8, ISO 400, nearly stopping the water.


I switched to my 50mm lens and took these two images in portrait mode.  The top image was taken at 1/800 seconds at f/1.8, ISO 400.  The lower one was taken at 1 second at f/22, ISO 100.

FYI, the trail that heads downhill does not have another view of Tower Falls, at least not down to where it is closed.  It does have wonderful views of the river and canyon below - but I'm getting ahead of myself.

No comments: