Click on a photo to see a larger version of the image.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

IR in the desert

I took my new Canon 70D out for a little day hike in the desert and decided to see how it does with an infrared filter (a Hoya R72).  Here are some samples:
 This is a white light image showing the Moon rising over the hills nearby.  This exposure was made with my 75-300mm zoom at 75mm focal length with an exposure of 1/250 seconds at f/11, ISO 200.

This is the same composition with the Hoya R72 IR filter in place.  The exposure was 2 seconds at f/4, ISO 200.  I converted the original to B&W with the GIMP and a simple desaturate followed by a little curve stretching.

This is the original frame before desaturating the image.  The exposure was 2 seconds at f/2.8, ISO 400 with my 50mm f/1.8 lens on my 70D.

This is the same frame, desaturated and stretched a little with the curves tool in the GIMP.

This is the white light version of the above.  The exposure was 1/350 seconds at f/8, ISO 400 with my 50mm f/1.8 lens.

No comments: